Rolling at an altitude of 610 m, Ponmudi (meaning the Golden Peak in Malayalam) is the least haunted by tourists and therefore the most peaceful of all Kerala hill stations. Embellished with rapids flowing over the road, and misty peaks thronged by an exotic vegetation, Ponmudi is a hiker's and trekker's paradise. At a distance of 61 km (1 ½ hrs drive) from Thiruvanthapuram, Ponmudi offers to soothe your work worn mind and body to rejuvenation. Hike through the slopes of tea gardens to watch the pickers at work or fish in the emerald waters of the Kallar River to make the most of Ponmudi.
* Spice plantations
* Tea plantations
* Echo Point
* Agasthyarkodam peak (2000 m)
* Aranamula temple
* Golden Valley
* Deer Park
* Meenmutti Waterfall
* Mini zoo to the north of Ponmudi Crest (Barasinghas can be spotted)
* Accommodations Available
A small tourist guest complex perched among picturesque green slopes ensures comfortable stay at Ponmudi. Duke's Forest Lodge located between Thiruvanthapuram and Ponmudi amidst rubber plantations is also available.
How to Reach
Ponmudi is at a distance of 61 km north east of Thiruvanthapuram which house the nearest rail and air terminal. On the Thiruvanthapuram-Nedumangad-Chenkotta Highway after Agasthyakoodam and Golden Valley comes Ponmudi.
* Beware of leeches, carry common salt
* If you want to witness the Aranamula boat race, visit during Aranamula festival (August- September)
* Trek to the tea plantations to watch the expertise of the pickers at close quarters
* Carry warm clothing as the nights are chil